The Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) invites applications for the newly created position of Senior Investigation Officer.
The FIU was established in 2004 primarily to facilitate the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of money laundering, the financing of terrorism and other serious offences in the Cook Islands. The FIU, as an agency of the Crown, sits within the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) with all intelligence, investigation and related operational matters independent of the FSC.
The Senior Investigation Officer position is a challenging, diverse role with a financial investigation focus, responsibilities include:
- Leading and co-ordinating criminal investigations into financial misconduct predominantly in respect to money laundering investigations and terrorist financing investigations;
- Gathering and collating evidence that will support a criminal prosecution;
- Working in collaboration with other Law Enforcement agencies and the Intelligence element of the FIU;
- Supporting the Police and Crown Law Office with court cases resulting from criminal investigations under the Financial Transactions Reporting Act 2017;
- Provision of on-the-job investigative training for colleagues within the FIU;
- Leading various one-off projects as they arise including Airport and Seaport duties, international requests and development of an asset recovery framework; and
- Investigating any other matters as required by the FIU Act 2015 and other oversight Acts administered by the FIU including the Financial Transactions Reporting Act 2017.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with an inquisitive mind, an eye for detail and an ability to work well both independently and as part of a team. Remuneration offered is dependent on the skills and experience the successful applicant brings to the FIU, preferably with at least five years’ work experience in financial/investigation/intelligence or another relevant discipline.
A job description for the role can be downloaded here.
Applications should be submitted to the Head of the FIU, Phil Hunkin, (Phil.Hunkin@cifiu.gov.ck) by 4pm on Wednesday, 17 October 2018.